As a Data Recovery company, and an IT services company we address both the challenge of setting proper backup systems, and recovering data when needed.
For users of Windows 7 computers, it is a very simple process to create a local backup. All that you need is to use the built-in backup software from Microsoft, an external hard drive and a DVD.
In order to start the process you can:
- Go to “Run” command and type: Backup
- Choose “Backup and Restore” from the left panel
- It will guide you through selecting the destination drive (the external hard drive), and will start the backup
- Once completed, you will be asked if you want to create a “System Repair Disk” – choose yes, and insert a blank DVD.
- The program will create this special recovery DVD for you.
Once completed, you will have a full backup system that can recover your entire hard drive including all programs, settings, data, etc. All that will be needed is the combination of the “recovery DVD” and the external drive.
It is important to note that the backup created is good as of the time that you made it (meaning in two days and after you change the data – it will not be current). What you can do is to allow the backup system to create additional backups to the external drive, which will be the delta (changes in data) that were made.
We can assist you with this process, if it sounds overwhelming to you. The process is simple, and when done correctly, can save you a great amount of money on recovery. We would love to have your data recovery business but our first priority is to educate you and show you ways that can prevent data loss.
In addition to local backup on your external drive, we also recommend the use of external online backup. That is a topic for another blog.